Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Master Teacher

In the Indian epic Mahabharat there's a story about a phenomenal master of archery, Drona, and how a young tribal lad, Eklavya, gets inspired by the aura of Drona and aspires to be his student. However, Drona is the master teacher of the kingdom teaching only the sons of the kings. Eklavya gathers all the information he could about Drona, makes a clay statue resembling Drona and assumes the statue to be his master. He practices archery every day and night standing infront of the statue for the rest of his life.

When I first heard this story I thought to myself if there could be anyone in this world who would inspire me in a similar way. I thought it would be impossible, only until I learnt about Steve Jobs. Once I moved from my rural village in India to Boston for my higher studies in early 2000, I would skip classes, stay super late just to see the videos of Steve Jobs do his magic on the stage in keynotes again and again. The first thing I purchased once I got a job in Boston was a PowerBook. Not because I needed it but only because Steve Jobs was behind it. He's the Drona for me and I'm sure for millions of others like me. Only a handful of humans in the history of our planet ever had such a positive impact on our civilization.
Well done Steve. I wish peace for your family and friends.

No comments: