Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

A documentary film on just any thing. Almost.

If I were to ask you to make a list of topics for a new documentary film what would the top 10 be? I'm sure poverty, war, politics, culture, aliens and all sought of things would fill the page. But how about a movie on Helvetica. Yes, Helvetica, the font. The ubiquitous font we see everyday on almost everything we read from billboards on the busy streets to the signs on trains and buses.

I'm not a typographer by any stretch of imagination but know about fonts a nano bit. And I never thought about a feature-film length documentary on Helvetica. I was amazed to learn that one was made and was more fascinated to see it. I'll now have more appreciation for the letters every time I read a billboard or a signpost.

This made me think about The Long Tail (Chris Anderson coined this term in Wired first). There's an audience almost for everything and the new flat digital world can help you reach them with out much sweat.

If there's a movie and an audience for Helvetica, the font, I'm sure we can find audience for all the crazy topics we have in mind. How about a digital documentary production company that focuses in making films on topics that fit the long tail? Here's your business idea.

No comments: