Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

What should I see when I visit Earth?

One of my colleagues was going to India and as usual I gave him a twenty minute run down on Devata's version of Lonely Planet for India. I told him what to see and what to do in his one week of off time in Hyderabad and Delhi.

Later that day I was walking with a friend in Harvard Square and a thought occurred to me. What if a colleague from Andromeda galaxy told me that he's visiting planet Earth for 40-50 years and asked me what he should do when he's on Earth. What would I recommend? Pause and think about it for a moment.

Well, I can recommend many places to see - deep oceans, golden deserts, rugged mountains, tropical jungles - or ask him to experience various things - falling in love, making friends, hating someone and taking revenge. And of course, things to do - making love, parenting a child, and so on.

Immediately, the obvious thought occurred to me. Am I doing everything that I want my alien friend to do in his 50 years of life on Earth? Would I recommend him to spend hours and days sitting in front of an object primarily made out of sand (the computer!)? Would I ask him to be a product marketing manager and sell security stuff? Would I ask him to blog or read a blog? May be I would. May be I shouldn’t.

Even though I love my job, the thought started bothering me a bit. I would not recommended my friend to be a product marketing manager, but I would recommended him to dream and live his dream. It’s been a while since I dreamt. What are you dreaming today?

2 comments:

Sriram said...

Welcome to the BIG T (thirty) my friend.

Life definitely is more profound from now on, the way you see, feel and appreciate it for what it was, is and could be.

ravi said...

I would certainly recommend to have a chat with u